Sporting enthusiasts are in for a great experience with the opening of one of the world’s largest and most comprehensive sports museums, 3-2-1.
Qatar Museums announced the opening under the patronage of His Highness the Amir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. A member of the Olympic Museums Network (OMN), 3-2-1 will be one of the world’s most innovative and technologically advanced museums dedicated to sports. It will offer an unforgettable and inspiring interactive journey through the history and legacy of sports around the globe and also the Olympic Games.
Designed by Spanish architect Joan Sibina, the museum is approximately 19,000sq/m – making it one of the largest of its kind – and is built onto Khalifa International Stadium, part of Qatar’s Aspire Zone Foundation.
“The opening of the 3-2-1 Qatar Olympic and Sports Museum, alongside the FIFA congress, is a symbol of the importance of sports in Qatar National Vision 2030. The museum belongs to the Olympic Museums Network and is a legacy project of the Doha Asian Games 2006,” said HE Sheikha Al Mayasa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Chairperson of Qatar Museums.
“The 3-2-1 Qatar Olympic and Sports Museum, comes after Qatar’s outstanding performance at the Tokyo Olympics, and just before we host the World Cup in November 2022. Culture and sports are two sides of the same coin, and there is no better time to celebrate our nation’s investments in both.
The galleries include:
- “World of Emotion,” the first gallery space visitors will encounter which serves as the Museum’s reception area and lobby.
- “A Global History of Sport” is a journey through the history of sports across the globe from ancient to modern times. The gallery includes nearly 100 objects and reproductions, ranging from the 8th century BCE to the early 20th century.
- “Olympics” takes visitors from the ancient Olympic Games through to the birth of the modern Olympics and their growth and significance today. The gallery features a display of every torch from the Summer and Winter Olympic Games from 1936 onwards.
- The Hall of Athletes” is a celebration of sporting heroes from around the world.
- “Qatar – Hosting Nation” explores how the mega sports events hosted by Qatar in recent decades have become a matter of global fascination and national pride.
- “Qatar Sports” presents the inspiring story of the development of sports in Qatar, from traditional games through to the arrival of international sport and the development of international competitions.
- The “Activation Zone” promotes physical activity across Qatar and encourages the adoption of healthy and active lifestyles. Visitors are invited to walk through six spaces that evoke the landscape of Qatar and participate in a variety of fun challenges.
There are also eateries, a gift shop and further facilities to be discovered. ✤