In an exclusive island setting, rising above the marina and the Arabian Gulf, tradition and modernity have converged for the last two decades.
The Ritz-Carlton, Doha is celebrating its 20th Anniversary and we’re marking the occasion with a round-up of things you might not know about this iconic property.
Ritz-Carlton, Doha – 20 Signature Facts
1. A five-Star hotel built on two man-made islands connected by two bridges.
2. Back in 2001, the iconic Ritz-Carlton, Doha was the highest building in the city.
3. The only hotel in Doha that features an exclusive Island for special outdoor events.
4. Home to the Daydream Festival during its Middle Eastern Premiere in 2019.
5. On entrance to the main lobby, sweeping staircases lead you down to sea level giving the feeling of walking towards the water.
6. Frameless floor-to-ceiling windows tower above the lobby, with an endless view on the turquoise blue waters of the Arabian Gulf.
7. The impressive lobby level is situated five metres above ground level.
8. The Viennese Baakowitz chandelier, in the Lobby, took three people a week to assemble. With more than 2,000 individual crystals, it is 7.5m high, 3.5m in diameter and weighs 1.2 metric tonnes.
9. The Ritz-Carlton, Doha boasts a total of 264 chandeliers throughout its premises.
10. 1,500 architectural drawings were used in preparation for the hotel’s construction.
11. The hotel features over 2,000sq/m of meeting space. Al Wosail is the larger of the two ballrooms, divisible into four sections by dividing panels weighing half a tonne each.
12. As the eye travels up to the highest peak of the atrium, the large downward pointing cone was designed to diffuse natural daylight and sound.
13. A series of squarely framed corridors are lined with 34 kinds of stone and marble.
14. 15,000sq/ft of gold and silver leaf are evident throughout the domed ceilings of the hotel.
15. The 374-rooms, including 42 Club-level rooms and 61 suites (four of them named as Grand Amiri suites), of the luxury hotel fuse contemporary styling with classic Arabic and European design.
16. Handmade coloured glass, gold leaf and patterned marble chips comprise the mosaic design throughout the Spa area and restaurants.
17. In the tranquil setting of the Spa, a light and refreshing ambience is created by cool lavender ceilings combined with rich Italian marbles and mosaic tiles.
18. The state-of-the-art fitness facilities include the largest gym in the city overlooking the private 235-slip marina.
19. The only hotel featuring a junior size Olympic indoor pool.
20. Three distinctive restaurants compile the hotel’s culinary journey: the French restaurant Sel & Miel; the American steakhouse STK Doha; and the Pan-Asian restaurant B-Lounge.
Since October 2001, the iconic Ritz-Carlton, Doha has proudly combined a progressive ethos with cultural traditions, while housing 374 redesigned rooms and suites, three distinctive Restaurants, the signature Ritz-Carlton Spa with its state-of-theart fitness facilities as well as the most impressive Club Lounge with skyline and sea views. ✤